Saturday 11 November 2017

Chad gets under my skin

I remember when we first arrived here nearly five years ago, and I remember  wondering when and if Chad would feel like home.  There was the language to get used to, the shopping , having to visit many shops to find what you wanted or to get the right price,  if they had it that was. The need to be  culturally aware and of course, for those that know me well, the driving to get used to.... during our first few months a family said to me there is something about Chad that gets under your skin. I remember thinking well I am not sure I will ever get to that point.... However, it occurred to me the other day that I have been there for a while now.. Chad has got under my skin. - totally under my skin. I guess a lot of it is that I am now used to many things and it becomes normal- my French has improved but still not so good, but I used to the frustrations of having to ask somebody to repeat themselves until I can understand , or admit defeat and apologise or ask Andrew. I am used to goiing shopping and  where last week one shop had something but this week it is gone and who knows when it will come back or you have to go to another shop and if they have it pay more. The  culture feels more comfortable, most days anyway, and driving, well I don't like it but it is necessary and I 'get' the madness- most of the time ! There are days it feels very hard and  I long to  have a day of living some  less Chad  ways  that I would find easier and less tiring. . But really God  has given me a love for this Chad life and I can say how special it is and what an amazing experience and privilege it is to serve here for MAF.  He has blessed us with so much and through the hard times remains Faithful. God certainly knew what He was up to when He brought us here and thankfully, even knowing what a tough task He had ahead to shape me here, He has walked this journey with me, and continues to walk with me. I am grateful that God has let Chad get under my skin.

One of the verses from the Bible that meant a lot to andrew and I before we left our home in Aberdeen to begin our MAF  adventure with God , and still gives me reassurance and hope on the difficult days is Jeremiah 29v11. It says 'for I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mumfords good to read you, hope you’re having a Happy Christmas. What’s the best way to communicate with you these days? Email seems not to get through. Blessings, love from the Roses in Aberdeenshire.

    ReplyDelete